Hiring a Contractor Checklist
Making the decision to remodel your home is exciting… and a little scary, we know. It’s important to hire an experienced and reputable contractor to do the job, or a simple remodel can turn into your worst nightmare. You’ll want to do your due diligence before you sign a contract, so we have a helpful list to guide you in your selection. And remember, while the cost might figure into your choice of contractor, it shouldn’t be the only factor. Experience, reliability, and skill are also relevant.
Your home is one of the most significant investments you will make in your lifetime. It’s also where you spend most of your time. Ending up with shoddy construction can impact your daily life, finances, and, in some cases, your health. Follow the checklist below to find the right contractor to handle your dream remodel!
The Contractor Checklist:
- Meet with at least three contractors, using identical plans & ideas to compare the estimates fairly.
- Discuss your project in person and review the design plan if you have one already.
- If you don’t have a design plan, discuss your vision for the project. Does the contractor appear receptive to your ideas?
- How do they price projects, handle budgets, and changes, as well as unforeseen costs & overages?
- Have they worked on a project similar to yours?
- Ask to see some recent projects.
- Do they oversee the project themselves or use a project manager? (If they use a project manager, you might want to meet that person as well.)
- Ask about their work crews and training.
- Check their references, but you should also do some checking for yourself.
- Look for are any negative reviews online and do a general Internet search. Ask them about negative reviews.
- How long do they estimate it will take to complete the project?
- When can they start?
- Confirm the contracting firm’s ownership, verify the license, bonding, and insurance all in one spot at the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries. We suggest you do this for any subcontractors they use as well.
We sure hope we’re your choice when you’re done going through the list. Please let us know if you have any questions at all.